Friday, May 18, 2012

Style Icon of the Week: Oumou Sangare

BY Unknown IN , , , , , , , , , , , , , , 2 comments

Style Icon of the Week: Oumou Sangare

I was introduced to Oumou Sangare by my sister when I was pregnant with my son. (Yes, my sister is worldly besides being beautiful and naturally stylish...I have no clue how she does it!  But her closet has been my oyster since I can remember).  Since then, despite the lack of understanding of what she is singing about, I have been a loyal fan ever since.  Her passion and voice carry past the divide of culture and language.  Not to mention she is fierce!

Unfortunately, a lot of African women are not always on the front page of high fashion (and Conde Nast still rejects the idea of African Vogue! Read my rant to Vogue here.)
Mario Epanya, a Cameroonian photographer ,was attempting to revolutionize the fashion industry.  In the fall of 2010, Mario Epanya secured a meeting with executives at Conde Nast, a company that owns a majority of popular consumer magazines. During his presentation, he offered several well-executed examples of possible covers for Vogue Africa.
Being that not too many African women are appreciated fashionably, I will take this time to do so.  African women wear some of the most beautiful printed pieces in every color imaginable.  With an abundance of gold and natural materials, Africans choose natural accessories that compliment their look while honoring traditions.  Style of dress, of course,  changes from country to country and tribe to tribe; remember Africa is a huge place!  African women are known for their signature  head pieces and scarves (or foulards) that give their look a royal quality (or a beautiful way to cover a bad hair day.)

If you are unfamiliar, Oumou Sangare  is a Malinese singer and has a global audience.  In 2008 she collaborated with Alicia Keys for a rendition of Keys hit song "Fallin'". Below is my absolute favorite song by her! "Diya Gneba"



Oumou's style is afrocentric and fresh.  Mixed with traditional African pieces and modern designs, she always looks great on stage and in person.  Never afraid of color, you may find Oumou in muted earthy tones, flaming fire engine reds, fuschia pinks or powder blues.  Nothing is off limits and she carries each style and color fabulously.

Here she is on a "tube" (aka subway) rocking a fur and head wrap.  Tell me Oumou isn't fierce!
No one could do it better!

Red head wrap with funky pleated tunic and bracelets I must buy!
Check the awesome Louis earrings!

Love the phat rope chain!
African women are beautiful and fashion hasn't always turned a blind eye to that fact.  With african prints showing up on runways to this "new" trend of color blocking; Africans, no matter if they're from east, west, north or south, are making a huge impact on global fashion.

You can check out Oumou Sangare on Facebook for more music and touring dates!


2 comments:

I love comments! Feel free to say hi!