Sunday, April 22, 2012

Foulards! Or a Fancy Word for Scarves

BY Unknown IN , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , 5 comments

Foulards! Or a Fancy Word for Scarves

Good morning Retail Addicts!

As some of you may remember, foulard's and scarf prints were on the Spring 2012 runways, especially at Dolce & Gabbana.

Well, I just received my weekly email from Miuccia Prada (just kidding)-I received my weekly inbox flyer from the Prada store and it highlighted the Prada foulard's available for Spring.
To view Prada's foulard's, click here
Aren't they adorable?  These silk and twill foulard's will run you about $300. If you are new to the whole foulard (sorry, I just love the way "foulards" rolls off the tongue) look, or if $300 is way more than you are planning to spend on a scarf-see below.

If you are not breaking out the credit card to purchase the Pradas right now, some of the best places to buy scarves (on a budget) are thrift stores, consignment shops, halal markets, Indian sari stores, African clothing shops, flea markets, fabric stores and Middle Eastern/Indian/Pakistani owned dollar and gift stores.

How do I know?  I wear scarves regularly and have been doing so for most of my life.  Around my neck, on my head around my waist and even around my torso.  It's all how you rock it!

Tips for purchasing scarves

Thrift Stores:  Goodwill, Salvation Army, or even your friendly local neighborhood thrift store at times will have huge selections of scarves, usually at a low price.  During one of my shopping expeditions I purchased a large tote bag full of silk, poly blend, cotton and wool scarves for $7.   My foulard collection is so outrageous, I have run out of space to store them!  The trick with thrift stores, is to have an eye for quality and material.  Since scarves are not skirts or blazers, stitching isn't necessarily a deal breaker.  Be on the look out for hanging threads (depending on the material), frays, discolorations (especially if skill or natural fibers) and stains.  The number rule of thumb is, if you find a gorgeous piece at a thrift shop with a stain, nine times out of ten, that stain is here to stay.  If you simply can't part with the piece, get creative!  Add sequins, buttons, patches, embroidery, or whatever makes you happy, to conceal that stain or fray.

Consignment Shops: Consignment stores are just like thrift shops except they are more discerning with the quality and wear of the merchandise they accept.  However, the same rules apply as thrift shops.  Pay attention to hanging threads (depending on the material), frays, discolorations (especially if skill or natural fibers) and stains.

Halal Markets: Halal Markets are kosher markets, except they're Muslim.  Sometimes at halal markets they will have salwar kameezes, saris and scarves for sell.  I always have better luck finding scarves at halal markets owned by Pakistanis, I think because their manner of dress is similar to Indians, and we all know Indian women wear gorgeous fabrics which are perfect to use as a scarf.

For you DMV'ers (DC Metro Area) if you need to know where to find halal markets, or sari stores email me at nicole@mocha-mango.com.  I'd be happy to oblige)

Indian Sari Stores: This should be self explanatory! I personally love sari's and wish I had the nerve to rock sari's like traditional Indian women.  However, it does not mean I can not add a little Bollywood spice to my wardrobe.  The biggest thing to look out for at Indian stores is what I call the "foreigners price".  While saris are beautiful and some are made from luxurious materials, with intricate embroidering, a sari in essences is just a bunch of fabric draped over your body.  Little sewing is required for the braletet and under skirt.  Furthermore, silk fabric ranges between $2-18 per yard at most fabric shops....so $700 for a sari?  That's a little too much.  However, in the shops I frequent, bartering is accepted.  Some of you may not be comfortable haggling price but think about it like this, the worst thing they can say is no.  I am not the best haggler, either. I sweetly say, are you charging me the foreigners price?  Usually they laugh, and the bartering begins.  I promise I will do a piece on the art of bartering soon!

African Clothing Stores: Usually, I shop west African clothing stores.  They have some of the most unique, beautiful, quality fabrics, skirts and dresses there (especially if you're into color!).  African clothing stores are similar to the Indian sari stores meaning bartering is accepted, in most cases.

Flea markets: Flea markets are a smorgasbord of anything and everything, ranging from junk to collectibles and antiques.  The key to flea markets is know your market and vendors.  Some fleas are not worth the time it takes to visit. Also pay attention to quality and style of your pieces.  In some cases, haggling is accepted, especially towards the end of a slow day for the vendors.  Please remember, be kind to your vendors!  They work really hard and can be a gem if you build relationships with them (believe me, I've been a vendor!)

Fabric stores:  Again a wealth of pieces for whole sale price.  How can you beat it?

*Early in April, I made a trip to NYC.  Around 27th and Broadway I stumbled into a scarf wholesale shop and bought 3 Pashmina scarves and 4 silk scarves for $25. Not my cheapest find ever, but it was still a deal!  When I get a new camera (or my camera phone fixed) I will share my finds!*

Middle Eastern/Indian/Pakistani owned dollar and gift stores: (not Dollar Tree-I think they have to sell what Dollar Tree tells them to sell)  I know you all are really looking at me crazy now, but I swear I have bought some of the cutest poly blend scarves at dollar gift stores.  Some I have bought over 10 years ago that I still rock to this day.  While you may not find the Prada design or logo, you can find beautiful colors and funky patterns all for a dollar-or less!

Now, How Are You Going to Rock Your Fabulous Finds?

Grey Gardens

Recently, I had a chance to watch Grey Gardens (the movie not documentary) I loved it.  I did see the documentary version years earlier and Edith was fascinating to me then.  The movie, however, added the depth and background story the documentary did not.  (Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange did a marvelous job!)

Edith's eclectic style serves as an inspiration to rocking your foulard.

Even as a child "Little Edie" new how to wear a scarf!
Find a scarf in of the seasons hottest colors and add a vintage brooch to finish the look.
From the movie, Grey Gardens




Source



Jackie O.

Every one's style icon. You can't mention Edith without Jackie!  Mrs. Onassis, simply put, was elegant.

Only she could make leaving the airport this fashionable.
And you can never go wrong with a great pair of shades!  Especially for vacationing at Hyannis Point. LOL!  Check back here for traveling on a budget. (Smile)

Bohemian

This is my personal favorite way to rock a foulard.

 The beautiful Alicia Keys in a beautiful multi-tonal head scarf tied in the back.

Love the big knot in the back !!

 And J.Lo looking luminous in her blue head scarf.
Below are more inspirational ways to rock your foulard (I still can't get enough of this word!)
Source: Glamor.com Click here for article
*Update* I found this models blog, click here!
This look is fresh!  I also appreciate that the model is not a size 0!  See Mangoes?! You can be chic at any size!

Bollywood swag! Gorgeous color and contrast.
SOURCE Pursuit of Vintage
I love this blog.  Kimthea is also a fashionable mommy on a budget, check out her blog Pursuit of Vintage

Last and certainly not least, tiny Nicole Richie gives us three ways to rock the same scarf

No matter how you rock it or where you buy it (and how much you pay for it), rock it like you mean it!  Play with textures, add brooches, and use this seasons colors to enhance your look!  Send me pics so I can see how you wore it!


5 comments:

  1. awesome post!
    Sanaa
    thestylematrix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lady! It's a compliment coming from you-you awesome blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the fantastic article. The place else
    could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect means
    of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at
    the search for such information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful way to be updated and active. People can see what is your activity and what you were doing recently. I think it's one of those new media on Internet.

    Scarf Manufacturer in India

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me.
    Silk Scarves UK

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to say hi!