Friday, July 26, 2013

Style Icon of the Week: My Grandmother

BY Unknown IN , , , , , , , , 4 comments


 Style Icon of the Week: My Grandmother


My grandmother passed away last month, so I am dedicating this post to her.

It is very hard to capture the essence of my grandmother.  She was truly an original...I can not think of another person who is/was anything like her.  Born and raised in a rural town in North Carolina, she was the embodiment of a Southern Belle.  However, this Belle traveled the world!  Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Sweden, Switzerland, France and Spain were some of the stamps in her passport.  While she was always true to her southern roots, she could entertain with the Queen of England!

I was always in awe of her...how she could be so down to earth, but yet she knew where all the forks, knives and spoons should go on a table setting.  When she cooked, she would arrange everything on your plate as if you were at a five star restaurant.  She had so much class and grace, yet she could tell a dirty joke with the best of 'em.

With her class and grace, she had style.  Even her 80's, she dressed her age, yet always looked modern and fashionable.  Matter of fact, while my mother was going through her belongings after she passed, my mom found a brand new pair of Gucci sunglasses grandma ordered from Saks!  So here's my ode to Rose Marie...may she rest in peace!




If we could all be so lucky to have a shape like this!
I believe this was taken in Nassau, Bahamas~cute dress!

Her home, which she adored



Taken in Accra, Ghana.  I wish I could find the skirt!
She always kept a nice pair of shades

Me, giving her hell as a baby...but we both look cute!
Us in '05



NORDSTROM - Shop theyskens' theory

4 comments:

  1. Awww what a great post I know your grandma would be so proud of you and appreciate how you embody her spirit and from the looks of the photos she was a style Icon and most of all someone who helped mode you into the person you are today. Your grandma seems to be one of those people anyone would love being around she looked so cool and hip! undeniably this was a enormous lost for you and I want to express regret for your lost but the memories you guys seem to had shared was priceless and precious I hope that will give you comfort in knowing that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was a gorgeous woman! So stylish and polished. I always looked up to my grandmother. I am so happy I had such an amzing rolemodel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dora! Yes it's a blessing to have awesome grandmothers and I am glad you had a special relationship with yours!

    xoxo
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to say hi!