Wednesday, May 16, 2012

When Animals Attack...or When She Spills a Drink on Your Dress

BY Unknown IN , , , , , , , , , , , 1 comment

When Animals Attack...or When She Spills a Drink on Your Dress


Ladies, what is going on?  Are you okay?  Problems at home?  Need a hug?

Really ladies, spilling a drink on some one's outfit (on purpose) is not proper etiquette.  I know we have been inundated  with reality show stars who throw drinks in peoples faces simply because it's Friday (hey why not); and seemingly cat fights are the new rite of passage for girls and women from different walks of life and socioeconomic status.  However, my question is why?

I have not had a drink spilled on my dress nor thrown in my face, but I will not act holier than thou.  I have had my share of cat fights as a young woman.  I lost some, I won some, some were my fault, some were not.  As I matured, I pondered why these fisticuffs* happened (especially the ones that I did not start).

Some of my title bouts were fueled by alcohol, other bouts were fueled by pure jealousy.  Fights over men (I do not and never have believed in fighting over men!), or the fact I "thought" I was cute!  (Ladies, please stop this way of thinking, everyone should think they are cute!)  However, I've realized that most of my fights with other women boiled down to two things, jealousy and insecurity, on both of our parts.

As I observe our cultural landscape, I understand we are extremely informal, especially compared with earlier generations.  (Certain behaviors wouldn't fly with polite society.)  Being informal, or more relaxed has it's positives and negatives, however, does spilling a drink on a woman with a nice outfit, or fighting in public constitute informality? Or bestiality?  (We can not even blame the animal kingdom for this behavior, because most female species fight to protect their offspring or their lives.  They leave random acts of violence to the males)

So what is it ladies?  What exactly are we doing? More importantly, why are we doing it?

Kim Kardashian was a recent victim of a thrown drink.
One of my more fashionable friends, relayed a story, about how a woman spilled a drink on her linen pants at the disco. (On purpose! The woman made it known it was intentional.  I know some of you are shaking your head, saying, "she should have beat that woman's {insert expletive})  My friend is a cool, calm and collected woman, who feels if she has to "fight"she has lost all control-proceeded to beat this woman in the bathroom (hey, they were linen pants!).  The situation was ugly.  However, my question is what was going on in this woman's mind that she felt the need to spill a drink on another persons linen pants?

When has the competition between women become so fierce that we have to ruin, not only, another woman's night but her outfit?  Furthermore, how sad is it that this particular woman was so jealous and insecure, the only way she could express herself was to pour a Kahlua with milk on my friends linen pants?

It is hard enough being a woman; we juggle so many responsibilities and roles, all while trying to look good and not getting credit for our sacrifices and achievements.  Furthermore, let us not forget we just got the right to vote 92 years ago; we were legally granted equal pay 49 years ago,  and 34 years ago The Pregnancy Discrimination Act banned employment discrimination against pregnant women. We have come so far, why now do we want to tear each other down? (literally?)

fashionesta.com

1 comment:

  1. This is such a complicated issue: I am really glad you don't shy away from such topics on your blog!

    -Rachel
    www.thecuratorial.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to say hi!