Monday, September 23, 2013

Revamping the Wardrobe: My Deepest Darkest Secret As A (Sort Of) Fashion Blogger

BY Unknown IN , , , , , , , 5 comments

My Deepest Darkest Secret As A (Sort Of) Fashion Blogger



I know you all love scandal (the show and in real life) so I have a juicy one for you. I know I am not necessarily a fashion blogger...um, per se...but I do write about fashion frequently...sooooooooo here's my secret...


"My Wardrobe Sucks"

Look away! Save yourself!

Yes, I said it.  I should be ashamed to call myself a fashion-"esque" blogger.  It's terribly unfortunate.  It really is. *sigh*

The reasons why my wardrobe is craptastic are numerous.  "I'm still shedding pregnancy weight", "Nothing fits", "My children's needs have priority over mine", "I have no time to shop" and yada, yada, yada. Whatever my excuses are, the fact still remains...my wardrobe is hideous.

Now that the new diva in my life is allowing me a bit of respite from sleepless nights, it's time I get myself together.  What am I going to do, you ask?  I am going to find clothes that fit!  Can you see it?!  Me, in a dressing room somewhere, trying to mash all this jelly into a garment!  Yay! I don't think you're ready for this jelly...(Shout out to Bey.)

It's not always pleasant but someone has to do it.  If you find yourself in a situation like mine, the steps for revamping the wardrobe are simple:

1) Clean out your closet.  Things that you haven't worn in a year, consign or donate immediately.

2) For the things that you keep
  • Check to see if they need alteration, laundering, dry cleaning or minor repair.
  • Examine them, why did you keep them?  What do you like about them? (This is important when shopping   for new clothes.  When you understand what cuts or drapes look nice on you it is easy to find new clothes that look fantastic on you)

3) Check to see if you have the basic staples of any wardrobe:



  • White button-down shirt (one cotton, one silky)Fitted ones will get the most wear: They're easier to tuck in and look neat when left out.
  • Black tank.  While a white tank has its place you an always dress up or dress down a black tank in a good quality fabric.
  • Short-sleeved black T-shirt. The best short-sleeve length is about 1/2 to 1 inch longer than a typical cap sleeve—it shows just the right         amount of arm.
  • Long-sleeved white T-shirt. For a trim silhouette in white, choose a slim-fit T-shirt that skims your body but doesn't cling.
  • Long-sleeved black T-shirt. A surprisingly sophisticated layering piece, this works well under a dress shirt—or even a dress.
  • Black turtleneck. Consider investing in cashmere: You get more warmth with less bulk.
  • Crisp white blouse. Softer looking than a button-down, a white blouse is a timeless addition to any wardrobe.
  • Crewneck sweater. Thin knits, in cotton or wool, layer easily for versatility and comfort.
  • Cardigan. A neutral shade goes with everything, and a longer style that hits at the hip flatters most figures.
  • A black dress. The “little black dress” is a cliche for a reason: It’s a wardrobe necessity.
  • Pencil skirt. This classic piece should be tailored so it grazes the tops of the knees.
  • Jeans. It's worth paying extra for jeans that fit and flatter. Your best bet? A dark, bootcut pair made from stretch denim with no more than 2 percent Lycra. (The fabric will follow your curves while keeping its shape.)
  • Black pants.
  • To get the most from this wardrobe staple, select a style made of an all-season fabric, like tropical wool or viscose.
  • Skinny jeans. Once considered a trend, they are now a denim staple. Skinny jeans look best when they don’t fit too snugly at the waist.
  • Khaki pants. For a casual, comfortable look, forget the pleats (a flat front is more flattering) and forgo the front crease.
  • Denim jacket. A dark wash and a slim fit look the most polished.
  • Cropped jacket. Made famous by Coco Chanel, this item has become a fashion mainstay. You’ll have more opportunities for pairing with one in a solid color or traditional tweed.
  • Black cashmere wrap. A fabric that was once seen only in fall and winter has become a year-round regular.
  • Ballet flats (in a neutral or a versatile red). Equal parts sophisticated and practical, ballet flats, especially those with rubber soles, are easy on the feet but more polished than sneakers.
  • Basic black pumps. The workhorse of shoes, a good black pump can take you from day into evening without losing a step.
  • Metallic evening shoes. No shoes make you more party-ready than strappy sandals or pumps in a metallic tone. The surprise? Gold and silver are remarkably versatile
(list taken from Real Simple.com)

4) Now that you know what you are working with and what staples you need to get, now it's time to get inspired!  

Me personally, I peruse Vogue Italia first. Usually Vogue Italia is much more fashion forward than American Vogue; sorry Ana Wintour, it's true. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get to Barnes and Nobles to get a copy..however, I do have the Fashion in Vogue app (you must download it) so I am never too far away from what those fashionable Italians are doing.

Furthermore, since it is September and #NYFW just passed, I also look to the September issue of American Vogue (shout out to Grace Coddington-sorry once I start the shout outs I can't stop) and all of the thousands of pictures posted of the people who attended New York Fashion Week.  Then, I go to my favorite fashion bloggers for more inspiration.

SO, whomever or whatever inspires you, go immerse yourself in it.  Get an idea of what trendy colors, shoes, cuts, accessories, and/or bags you want to incorporate for your own unique style.


5) Last, yet certainly not least, it is time to go shopping!


Since I am the one with the wardrobe issues, I am going to take you on my personal wardrobe revamping journey; so you can see what I do right, what I might do wrong and hopefully get inspired to revamp your wardrobe too!

For the next post I will take pictures of the pieces I am keeping and share what basics I need.  I am also going to show you my inspiration from Vogue Italia, Vogue and my favorite bloggers.  Following that, we are going to Plato's Closet to sell clothes I no longer need (while learning the tricks of selling clothes at Plato's Closet) and hopefully pick up a few pieces along the way! So stay tuned!

And if your wardrobe sucks like mine does...let's do this together!  What's going on in your closet?


PS: bebe is having a massive sale just in time for this wardrobe makeover!  Click link below to get in on the deals!

bebe.com

5 comments:

  1. Great article. I needed to be reminded about clearing out my closet and this article did the trick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole for this lesson this is something I should have done a 11-yrs ago after I had my baby who is now 11 years old and I'm still saying only if I get this weight off I will buy that new outfit but really something have to give Buy what fits and I think I'll be happy! Thanks again for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased with the dress and buying it online. It makes me wonder how much profit those brick and mortar stores must be making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Low Cost Moving Boxes Supplies Nationwide Next Day Delivery
    cardboard boxes,moving boxes

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to say hi!